Completed the build successfully, although main difficulties were with overcoming too many teeth on the Y axis belt & the extruder build. Took my time and set up the Y axis assembly with engineering precision. I had problems getting the frame squared up to the heated bed as every time you tighten the 10mm nuts, there was a bit of 'creeping' out of square. I used a precision square and cigarette paper to test for 'verticalness'.
I built it over 3 days and would estimate about 20 hours build-time.
Some parts looked a little 'suspect' but it all went together without too much drama and now printing very successfully.
You must be a brain surgeon ?
Tip: Make sure you push the extruder right up into the body so the top flange is hard against the plastic. The nylon filament tube needs to be showing at the top of the extruder body.
I found out when trying to load the filament that it had 'missed' the nylon tube and ended up forcing the extruder out of the extruder body, making it really difficult to correct the situation with all the cables etc now tied down.
I had an email response when I got a bit impatient waiting ... Tech Support said "For the assembly. It is better to have longer belt than needed. Otherwise it would be pretty hard to put it around the Y-belt holder, motor and pulley. Btw. are you sure that you used the proper belt? there are two. One for Y and 2nd for X axis."
By this time I had already cut off the spare teeth leaving 2 showing on each side of the Y-Belt-Holder.
I have finished the build, tested and calibrated and printed first demo print successfully so don't think I did wrong !
Tip: Slide the zip-ties into the slots before you push the supports onto the rods !
Hi Scott. No response back from Prusa yet, but it seems we're not alone with this issue.
I found an article with same problem on the site by Ed Lingo .. Y-GT2 Belt length
I think the cutters are coming out shortly despite the party-line from Prusa when responding to other User's comments.
The Y-GY2 belt appears too long as others have found. I have refitted and pretensioned it about 10 times and still have too many teeth overhanging which prevents the stops switch & idler interference. I have checked I'm using the correct 330mm rods and slack only just taken up on the ends in the Y-corners.
The Motor side has 9 teeth overhang and the Idler side has 5 teeth overhang. Equally distributing the overhangs won't take up the excess.
I have measured the belt .. it is 67 cm long (being the shorter of the two belts in the kit). I am reluctant to cut the belt at this time without guidance.